Buzău County Museum website

International Colloquium on Funeral Archeology

communique

 

Buzău County Museum, a culture and research institution operating under the authority of the Buzău County Council, based in Buzău, Aleea Castanilor, no. 1, Buzău County, legally represented by Dr. Daniel Costache, as Manager, organizes, with the support of Buzău County Council, in collaboration with the International Union of Prehistoric and Protohistoric Studies (UISPP) and the Institute of Archeology Vasile Pârvan Bucharest, Colloquium International with the theme:

Bronze and Iron Ages in Eurasia: Rituals and Grave Goods as Possible Markers of the Social Identity of the Dead ”.

The program of the colloquium, held between October 17-20, 2019, includes 23 papers, with 31 authors, from six countries: Romania, the Republic of Moldova, Ukraine, Russia, Serbia and Bulgaria.

Buzău thus becomes the city in Romania where the most international colloquia took place (2004, 2009, 2012, 2014) under the auspices of the XXX Commission of the International Union of Prehistoric and Protohistoric Sciences (UISPP), the most prestigious professional organization of archaeologists in everyone, thus joining the elite of the scientific centers that hosted such events.

The colloquium's work aims to answer a number of questions about how the burial rites and rituals performed by ancient communities and the goods deposited in graves reflect the "identity of the dead" in the afterlife and the social status of those.

The official opening of the colloquium will take place on October 17, 2019, at 16.00, at the Buzău County Museum.

 

Buzau County Museum
Manager,
Dr. Daniel Costache

Buzau County Museum

Buzau County Museum is the main museum institution in Buzau County. Its foundations were laid by Basil Iorgulescu and the development of the collections led to several stages of expansion. The current headquarters is the third. From 1977 until now it is housed in the building of the former Girls' School. The building, built between 1931 and 1937, is included in the list of historical monuments, being one of the most imposing buildings in the city.

The permanent exhibitions were opened here in 1980-1981, being subsequently modified and updated in 1986, 1990, 1999-2001, 2004, 2015-2017. The newest project was implemented after the complete restoration of the building (carried out in the period 2010-2015, based on the financing of 36,906,590 lei / 8,201,464 Euros offered through the Regional Operational Program 2007-2013).

In the 1980s and 1990s, the museum's collections became substantially richer as a result of archaeological research, acquisitions, and donations. In addition to the consistent collections of history and archeology, the museum's fund has grown steadily, enriching itself with valuable goods ethnographical, artist, numismatics and in the field of mineralogy and al natural sciences.

Under the auspices of the institution, a series of books were published ("Mousaios Library"), 2 annual scientific bulletins ("Mousaios" and "Annals of the Buzău”), Catalogs and monographs, fruit of the scientific research activity carried out within the museum institution.

Buy a ticket
Learn more
Font Resize
en_GBEnglish (UK)