Buzău County Museum website

December 1989: between Revolution and Christmas

 

communique

 

Buzau County Museum announces the opening of the temporary exhibition "December 1989: Between Revolution and Christmas ", an event that will take place on Monday, December 16, 2019, at 12.00, in the amphitheater hall of the museum,  Chestnut Alley, no. 1, mun. Buzau.

 

The exhibition is organized on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the fall of communism and proposes an x-ray of two spaces: private and social. On the one hand, it recreates an atmosphere in an urban home, which reflects the life of a family - dull and with many shortcomings, waiting for Christmas. On the other hand, the exit from this environment on the streets of Buzău and the social effervescence characteristic of the masses in revolution, through some witness images, made by the photographer George Necula, are surprised. These, along with a series of videos, capture the emotional charge, the tension of events and the collapse of an agonizing totalitarian regime, as well as the desire to regain dignity and freedom.

Buzău County Museum especially thanks all those who, during eight years, but especially during the campaign "Don't throw them away! Please donate them! ” (2012-2013), enriched the museum heritage with almost 4000 assets, which reflect the daily private life during the communist regime.

Continuing this process of preserving and preserving some material goods, the museum proposes to visitors to participate in a new project, to collect memories of the events of December 1989 in Buzau, in order to contribute to saving the memory of our community. These memories can be sent to the museum via a form - "What did you do in December 1989?" - located in the exhibition hall or by filling in the online form below (after completing and sending it will reach the address home@muzeubuzau.ro).

The exhibition can be visited between December 16, 2019 - April 30, 2020.

 

Manager

Dr. Daniel Costache

     

     

     

    Buzau County Museum

    Buzau County Museum is the main museum institution in Buzau County. Its foundations were laid by Basil Iorgulescu and the development of the collections led to several stages of expansion. The current headquarters is the third. From 1977 until now it is housed in the building of the former Girls' School. The building, built between 1931 and 1937, is included in the list of historical monuments, being one of the most imposing buildings in the city.

    The permanent exhibitions were opened here in 1980-1981, being subsequently modified and updated in 1986, 1990, 1999-2001, 2004, 2015-2017. The newest project was implemented after the complete restoration of the building (carried out in the period 2010-2015, based on the financing of 36,906,590 lei / 8,201,464 Euros offered through the Regional Operational Program 2007-2013).

    In the 1980s and 1990s, the museum's collections became substantially richer as a result of archaeological research, acquisitions, and donations. In addition to the consistent collections of history and archeology, the museum's fund has grown steadily, enriching itself with valuable goods ethnographical, artist, numismatics and in the field of mineralogy and al natural sciences.

    Under the auspices of the institution, a series of books were published ("Mousaios Library"), 2 annual scientific bulletins ("Mousaios" and "Annals of the Buzău”), Catalogs and monographs, fruit of the scientific research activity carried out within the museum institution.

    Buy a ticket
    Learn more
    Font Resize
    en_GBEnglish (UK)