Buzău County Museum website

Polish and Romanian women who changed the world

Press release

Temporary exhibition "Polish and Romanian women who changed the world"

 

Buzau County Museum, a culture and research institution operating under the authority of Buzau County Council, announces the opening of the temporary exhibition "Polish and Romanian women who changed the world".

Made in collaboration with Polish Cultural Institute in Bucharest, the exhibition will be displayed in the open air, on the fence of the Buzău County Museum, remaining open to the public during March 4 - April 4, 2022.

The exhibition project brings together the fascinating stories of 17 Poles and 17 Romanians, who excelled in various fields, some of them dedicating their lives to the fight against communism and being repressed by the totalitarian regime. The 34 women are personalities more or less known to the general public, not to mention those who, in both countries, are true symbols, such as Elisabeta Rizea. The brave peasant woman fought for years against the communist regime, within the resistance movement in the Făgăraș Mountains, remaining faithful to her convictions, despite the fact that she was imprisoned and tortured. Among the Polish heroines who fought against the communist regime was Elżbieta Zawacka, a female soldier who performed special missions during World War II. Closed later by the Communists for several years, she became, after 1989, one of the first two women in the Polish Army to be promoted to the rank of general.

Visiting hours:

  • 9:00 - 17:00 (October 1 - April 30), last entry at 16:15
  • 10:00 - 18:00 (May 1 - September 30), last entry at 17:15
  • Tuesday - Sunday: open
  • Monday: closed

We look forward to seeing you at the museum!

Manager,

Daniel COSTACHE

Book Online

Buzau County Museum

Buzau County Museum is the main museum institution in Buzau County. Its foundations were laid by Basil Iorgulescu and the development of the collections led to several stages of expansion. The current headquarters is the third. From 1977 until now it is housed in the building of the former Girls' School. The building, built between 1931 and 1937, is included in the list of historical monuments, being one of the most imposing buildings in the city.

The permanent exhibitions were opened here in 1980-1981, being subsequently modified and updated in 1986, 1990, 1999-2001, 2004, 2015-2017. The newest project was implemented after the complete restoration of the building (carried out in the period 2010-2015, based on the financing of 36,906,590 lei / 8,201,464 Euros offered through the Regional Operational Program 2007-2013).

In the 1980s and 1990s, the museum's collections became substantially richer as a result of archaeological research, acquisitions, and donations. In addition to the consistent collections of history and archeology, the museum's fund has grown steadily, enriching itself with valuable goods ethnographical, artist, numismatics and in the field of mineralogy and al natural sciences.

Under the auspices of the institution, a series of books were published ("Mousaios Library"), 2 annual scientific bulletins ("Mousaios" and "Annals of the Buzău”), Catalogs and monographs, fruit of the scientific research activity carried out within the museum institution.

Buy a ticket
Learn more
Font Resize
en_GBEnglish (UK)