Buzău County Museum website

Phone collection

The telephone collection of the Buzău County Museum, the largest genre collection in the country with working parts, includes over 300 telephones of Romanian and foreign origin (Germany, France, Belgium, USSR) and chronologically illustrates the history and role of this inventions in our lives. The core of this collection is the donation of Colonel Buzoian, Nicolae Antohi (1930 - 2013), who began collecting them in 1975. It includes civil table phones, wall phones, public telephones, military and telephone exchanges from different periods: at the end of the 19th century to the present day, the predominant civil ones from the interwar period.

The oldest piece on display is an Ericsson telephone from 1898. It has a local battery and is the forerunner of the printed circuit board. The model was manufactured for a period of almost 20 years, from 1898 to almost 1920.

Another important piece of the collection is the handcrafted table telephone set, which dates back to the 1950s. The model was manufactured in a small series, up to 50 pieces, and worked by political detainees in Romanian penitentiaries. These telephones were introduced and functioned within the Central Committee of the Romanian Communist Party, starting with the 1950s. The piece owned by the museum functioned in the secretariat of the former communist leader, Gheorghe Gheorghiu-Dej, President of the State Council of the Romanian People's Republic during 19611965.

Among the pieces of the exhibition are several telephone exchanges, some of them with 10 lines, as well as herald and The future, produced in Romania in the 1940s or with a support capacity of up to 30 lines, such as the campaign telephone exchange Standard  for transmissions.

The exhibition is completed by cabin telephones with local and central battery, digital table and wall models, as well as a series of mobile phones, which appeared on the Romanian market in the first years after the revolution of December 1989.

Buzau County Museum

Buzau County Museum is the main museum institution in Buzau County. Its foundations were laid by Basil Iorgulescu and the development of the collections led to several stages of expansion. The current headquarters is the third. From 1977 until now it is housed in the building of the former Girls' School. The building, built between 1931 and 1937, is included in the list of historical monuments, being one of the most imposing buildings in the city.

The permanent exhibitions were opened here in 1980-1981, being subsequently modified and updated in 1986, 1990, 1999-2001, 2004, 2015-2017. The newest project was implemented after the complete restoration of the building (carried out in the period 2010-2015, based on the financing of 36,906,590 lei / 8,201,464 Euros offered through the Regional Operational Program 2007-2013).

In the 1980s and 1990s, the museum's collections became substantially richer as a result of archaeological research, acquisitions, and donations. In addition to the consistent collections of history and archeology, the museum's fund has grown steadily, enriching itself with valuable goods ethnographical, artist, numismatics and in the field of mineralogy and al natural sciences.

Under the auspices of the institution, a series of books were published ("Mousaios Library"), 2 annual scientific bulletins ("Mousaios" and "Annals of the Buzău”), Catalogs and monographs, fruit of the scientific research activity carried out within the museum institution.

Buy a ticket
Learn more
Font Resize
en_GBEnglish (UK)