Born on March 16, 1897, Buzau - died in 1992, Bucharest.
- Ranson Academy with Roger Bissiére and Amedée de la Patellière,
- Art history courses with Louis Hautecoeur and Paul Vitry.
- L`école de Louvre, Paris (1926 - 1928).
- He traveled to the United States between 1931 and 1932
- Düsseldorf - 1968;
Participates in the Official Salons and exhibitions of artistic groups:
- New art,
- Plastic group 1934,
- and after the war, at the State Annuals.
He also participates in drawing and painting salons, engraving, decorative art in the country.
Awards and distinctions:
- Prize of the Ministry of Arts for painting.
- In 1937 he was awarded the Bronze Medal at the Paris Exhibition of Arts and Industry
- In 1968 he was awarded the Order of "Cultural Merit".
- Between 1977 - 1984 - retrospectives of his work are organized in Bucharest.
- In 1985 he was awarded the Special Prize of the Union of Visual Artists in Romania.
In 1993, a large exhibition was organized posthumously in Bucharest and the "Margareta Sterian" prize was established for museographic and plastic creation, in other words for the best exhibition of heritage and contemporary art.
Until the end of her life (1992), the artist also had a rich career as a poet and translator of poetry (several volumes of verse and an anthology of modern American poetry), potter, decorative artist, book illustrator.
The quality of Margareta Sterian's post-modernist works in the field of textile art consists in the fact that the artist, after initially being enthusiastic about everything she finds new everywhere, in other cultures, after creating under this influence, returns to the spirit of authentic Romanian creations, autochthonizing everything.
The works represent a small but unique collection of decorative works that are presented to us in a diverse and modern reality at the same time obtained through techniques that highlight each work - such as collage, embroidery and various applications on the support material, the artist succeeding to enhance the beauty of the world that he generously reveals to those who look at it and understand its creation.
The painter Mircea Barzuca, the artist's disciple who received the entire collection of works by Margareta Sterian to take care of her after the artist's death, considered that the best place for this mini textile art collection is in Buzau her hometown and donating it Buzau County Museum in 2010.