The Buzău Culture exhibition is dedicated to the cultural past of Buzău, which illustrates the role of the church and education in the life of society and in terms of cultural activities as well as the interaction between Orthodox and secular culture. The cultural past of Buzău cannot be separated from the religious life of its inhabitants. In the Middle Ages, as well as in the modern era, all the cultural initiatives in the Buzău area started from Bishopric of Buzau established during the reign of Radu the Great in 1500. From its beginnings the Episcopate was a center that ensured the stability of the region, old printing center, place with teachers and schools, it played an important religious role, having legal authority over Buzău, Râmnicu Sărat, Brăila and Săcuieni. In 1691, the ruler Constantin Brâncoveanu established at the Bishopric of Buzău a PRINTING, where publications were translated and printed in Romanian with moral and religious content, service books, textbooks, textbooks.
In order to illustrate the book activity, as well as the craft of decorating books and book covers, there are documents and old religious books representative of Buzau County, deeds, notes, court books, written in the Cyrillic alphabet, special utensils for decorating books (stamps, "Beasts", fillets, rollers and molds, called "seals", vignettes, etc.), as well as various objects of worship such as: antimises, heat cups, anafornita, censer, pristolnice, as well as paftale, patterns for ornamentation , muzzle, candlestick, etc.
The first schools in Buzau County functioned in addition to churches, monasteries and the Episcopate, being mentioned in the documentary in the eighteenth century, although certain forms of education existed before. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the Buzau printing house served the school and the cultural upliftment of the people, its activity being illustrated by the exhibition of liturgical books, school textbooks, as well as the first church magazine in the country, published in Buzau between 1839. -1840, called The Church Herald, edited by Dionisie Romano and Gavriil Munteanu, under the patronage of Bishop Chesarie.
Gradually, the book became secular, becoming an instrument of social struggle and also of national education. The exhibition includes manuscripts copied from the Bishopric of Buzău and utensils used for writing, dating from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries (liturgical books, works of theology and ecclesiastical history), as well as secular books (editions encyclopedic, manual).
With the modernization and secularization of the Romanian society, the education was gradually transferred from the care of the church and the individuals, at the expense of the state. As a result of the application of the provisions of the Organic Regulation (1831) and then of the law of instruction during the reign of Alexandru Ioan Cuza (1864), we have in the history of the secular education of Buzau in the modern era, three essential moments: the establishment national public school (1832), the organization of the first course for village teachers (1838), the establishment the first gymnasium (1867).
The atmosphere of the old school is revived with the help of the reconstruction of a classroom from the interwar period. Objects that talk about the school universe from the first half of the 20th century are on display: slate and quilt school tablets, supplies, textbooks, medals for school prizes, exam and graduation certificates, photos with students, etc.